Health Advice - Foreign Travel

Foreign Travel health advice

Before you travel abroad it may be necessary to check with your travel agent and the practice whether or not you need special injections or medication for the country you are travelling to. In some cases you can be denied entry to a country if you do not have a certificate proving that you have had the necessary injections.

The practice can advise whether or not we give particular injections and how much they will cost.

Your doctor will advise of any specific medicines you should have with you. You must ensure you are vaccinated at least 6 weeks before departure where it is necessary. Malaria tablets have to be taken as advised before departure.

Below are a number of diseases you may wish to ask about when visiting your doctor prior to travelling abroad. Your doctor will advise you on your requirements depending on which continent you are travelling to:

  • Polio
  • Tetanus
  • Typhoid
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Yellow Fever
  • Japanese Encephalitis
  • Zika Virus
  • Diptheria
  • Malaria

If you are enquiring about travel immunisations

Please print off and complete the travel questionnaire and either fax it to 01903 843440 or post or bring the copy to the Medical Practice.

Our Travel Nurse will review the information you supply on the form and contact you to advise you which immunisations are appropriate and the cost.

You should then print off the immunisation agreement form tick the appropriate immunisations, sign it and bring it together with payment either in cash or cheque (made payable to the Steyning Medical Practice) when you attend for your travel clinic immunisation appointment.

Please Note: Submit your form at least 6 weeks prior to your date of travel. Some vaccines require 1 month to act.

Please also see our non-NHS medical services & charges for vaccine list and prices

Self help

Here are some simple self help tips you can follow to make your trip safer:

  • - Be safe
  • - Be hygienic
  • - Take a small first aid kit including re-hydration sachets
  • - Watch what you eat
  • - Drink bottled water only
  • - Avoid ice cubes if they are made with tap water
  • - Use effective sun protection i.e. high factor sun creams
  • - Take any medication your GP advises to protect yourself, like Malaria tablets

European Health Insurance Card (formerly E111)

Did you know that you can claim back most of your treatment and medication costs if you fall ill or have an accident in Europe? That's as long as you carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). From 1 January 2006 the E111 form has been replaced by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) so if you are a UK resident, you can apply for an EHIC .

The EHIC entitles the holder to free or reduced cost, state-provided medical treatment if you fall ill or have an accident while visiting any country in the European Economic Area (EEA). Please note that an EHIC is not a substitute for comprehensive travel insurance and will not cover further treatment or repatriation.

EHICs are issued on an individual basis. All individual travellers are therefore required to carry their own EHIC, regardless of age.

You can apply for an EHIC at the Post Office or online by visiting Your application should be processed within 7 days. You can also call the EHIC Application Line (0845 606 2030). Phone applications should be processed within 10 days.