Health Advice - Quiiting Smoking
It is never too late to stop smoking, if you are serious about stopping your doctor will provide help and information about the local smoking cessation group. This will mean that you will get support from fellow smokers who wish to give up.
- Smoking kills over 100,000 people per year in the United Kingdom.
- Smokers are more likely to get ill and die earlier than non-smokers.
- Nicotine is ten times more addictive than heroin.
The Smoking Cessation Advisor has a number of tips to help you stop:
- Plan your attempt to quit smoking
- Pick a date and keep to it
- Support from family and friends is vital
- Reward yourself with 'treats' from the money you save
- Always take one day at a time
- Be positive
Your doctor or Smoking Cessation Advisor will be able to advise you about nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). NRT increases your chances of quitting successfully. The products are available on prescription.
1 to 1 smoking cessation help and advice is offered locally at Steyning Health Centre by a trained Smoking Cessation Advisor. Please call to make an appointment.
Call the NHS Smoking Helpline 0800 169 0169
VIsit NHS Chioices section on stopping smoking for further help and advice.
Good Luck! Remember its never too late to give up.