Self Care Guide

Self Help Guide when feeling ill

SELF CARE - Can you treat yourself at home?

Self care is about looking after yourself in a healthy way. It can be anything from brushing your teeth, doing some exercise, managing common conditions (like headaches, colds and flu) or living with a long-term health problem, such as asthma or diabetes.

Visit the Self Care Forum with fact sheets for common ailments.

Visit the NHS A-Z symptom checker.


Have you spoken with your chemist?

Pharmacists are qualified to dispense not only medicines, but also advice on a range of common complaints such as sore throats, aches & pains, colds and the flu.

They can also answer questions on medications and help you with advice on issues such as healthy eating & quitting smoking. Your Pharmacist will be well placed to advise if you should see a GP with your complaint.

NHS 111

Have you tried NHS 111?

NHS 111 is a 24 hour a day health information and advice service staffed by professional health advisers and nurses. They offer free, confidential advice on what to do if you are ill and provide information on a range of conditions & services, and can put you in contact with your local health, self-help & support organisations and refer you to your out of hours doctors service when the surgery is closed.

Ring NHS Direct by dialling 111. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

GP Surgery

Do you need to see a GP or other health professional?

Steyning Medical Practice offers a range of services as detailed in our services & clinics section. These include general medical advice and treatment, prescriptions, referral services and a range of tests & immunisations.

Remember to tell your doctor if you have tried or are still taking any self care remedies.

If the Medical Practice is closed you can call NHS 111 for advice or an emergency visit.

Minor Injuries Unit / Walk-in Centre

Before going to A&E consider if you would get the right treatment at an MIU or walk-in centre.

Minor Injuries Unit - sprains, broken bones, wound infections - Horsham Minor Injuries Unit, Horsham Hospital, Hurst Road, Horsham, RH12 2DR. Tel: 01403 227000 ext 7202.

Walk-in Centre - for minor illness that may need a prescription. Aspect House, 84-87 Queens Road, Brighton. Tel: 0333 321 0946


Do you need to seek emergency hospital treatment?

In cases of accidents or illness where there is an immediate risk to life you should go to the nearest A&E department or call 999 for an ambulance.

Follow this route in critical emergencies where there has been major blood loss, severe chest pain or loss of consciousness.


Did you know that reading books can help you to understand and manage your health and wellbeing?

See a list of d books chosen by health experts. You can be recommended a title by a health professional, or you can visit your local library and take a book out for free. The scheme is available in 98% of English library authorities.

The books are all endorsed by health experts, as well as by people living with the conditions covered and their relatives and carers.

Self care advice for hayfever